Monday, September 13, 2010

Mexican Chicken Casserole

So, I've been slacking a little in the recipe picture taking.  Chris's softball game got cancelled due to the weather so I took advantage of being able to get out of the house and do a little home decor shopping.  Cravings for foods from the weekly menu caused us to eat them in a different order than previously planned.  So, today we are just getting to our Mexican Chicken Casserole.  My friend, Carly, is wanting the recipe so I wanted to get it posted for her.

I PROMISE I STARTED OUT TAKING PICTURES!

I got the chicken broth and green chilies boiling, and the onions diced.





















Then Breanna woke up and all heck broke loose.

I'm not even kidding.

She's a HIGH MAINTENANCE kid.

I started the day already wore out, and that her tantrum just added to my exhaustion.  *sigh*

One of these days I'll be back to 'normal'...whatever that is!

Anyways,  I didn't get the step-by-step pictures taken.

My house sure smells good though.


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 cans green chilies
  • 1 3/4 lbs chicken
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 c chopped onion
  • 1 c evaporated low-fat or fat-free milk
  • 1 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/4 c cream cheese
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
  • cooking spray
  • 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 handfuls tortilla chips, crushed
Combine broth and 1 can green chilies in a skillet.  Bring to a boil.

Add chicken; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.

Remove chicken from cooking liquid; let cool and shred.

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.

Add remaining can of chilies and onion; saute.

Add cooking liquid, evaporated milk, Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce.  Stir well!

Stir in chicken and let cook for 2 minutes.

Spray casserole dish.

Place 4 tortillas in 2 quart casserole.

Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture in.

Repeat layers twice.

Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips.

Bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment