Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Discomfort, Nausea, and many upcoming doctor appointments

First, let me start off by saying thank you to each and every one of my prayer warriors.  A big thanks to my parents, my sisters, grandma Dee, Evan, Laura and Susie, Amanda, Opal and Brock, Leah and Larry, and Mackenzie.  I know I had a few days that I wasn't very 'with' it, but your visits, cards, and flowers meant the world to me.  Thank you Aunt Phil, Renee, Mandie, April (and the people who walked with her) for walking in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure for me.  I know there were others that I am forgetting, and I'm sorry, but know I DO appreciate what you did.  I was moved to tears by the video of the almost 15,000 people who walked to support this cause.  And to the anonymous lady who came through my sisters check-out line and added my name to your wrist band the day of the walk after talking to her....thank you!  It's simple acts of kindness like that, that make this world a better place.

Today, I am Day 5 post-op.  Still very fatigued but overall feeling quite a bit better.  Yesterday I spent the majority of the day sleeping, and still had a lot of discomfort.  It's much more prominent on my left side...which is the side that contained multiple tumors and the cystic area close to my armpit where they had to also remove the skin.  I have more swelling and felling of tightness on that side.  I have the least amount of pain if I am up and moving around, or sitting propped up. In the sitting down/laying back process I have quite a bit of pain still.  I do have occasionally twinges of pain underneath the breast on that side, but they are around the area where the drain tubes come out of my chest, so that may have something to do with it.  I'm down to 1 pain pill every 6 hours, and think by tomorrow Tylenol will be sufficient.  Dr F did put in 360 cc in my expanders so I know a lot of the discomfort is the pressure on the pectoral muscles.  The good thing about that is that if he is able to do 60 at each fill, I will only need 5 fills.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one!

3 out of 4 of my JP drains have more of a yellowish-orange colored liquid now...which is really good.  And 2 of them are only having minimal drainage.  I expect that these two will more than likely get removed by next week.  YAY!!!!  The other two will stay in about 3 weeks, Dr F said.

My biggest complaint is the I have a constant feeling of nausea.  I've never experienced this with any of my other surgeries, so I am not really sure what is causing it this time.

A BIG milestone this week....Kinsey is getting her braces off tomorrow!!!  I'm so excited for her!  She's excited about getting her retainer with Pixie Dust. lol

Thursday, I have my post-op appointment with Dr. F, and my post-op appointment with Dr Marcus Friday.  I must say, I was very blessed with two great surgeons.

In a week, I have an appointment to go over my final pathology reports and BRCA testing with Dr Mandal.  Hoping to hear, "NO CHEMO NEEDED!"  Above the mastectomy, the reconstruction process...everything...my greatest fear in all of this is needing chemo.  I'm still holding on to the hope that I won't.  Dr Marcus told Chris he's fairly certain they got it all so I'm taking that as a good sign.

FINGERS CROSSED!

On a funny note:  Breanna came in the bedroom a little bit ago, and says to me, "HEY, where's daddy?  Is daddy missing mom?  Did he go to the soccer game???"

I just thought that was so random. I just love the little random things she says.

My guess....Dora probably played in a soccer game today! lol