Monday, August 16, 2010

Finding beauty in everything

What a week-end!

Friday was my birthday, of course.  In my last post I forgot to mention that as we were leaving the Mexican restaurant we went to for my birthday dinner, two old ladies said 'Congratulations!'  "Thank you," I said, unsure about what they were congratulating us on.  I must have looked puzzled, because one of the ladies chimed in, "Congratulations, on having such well behaved children." BEST.COMPLIMENT.EVER!  It's one thing when family or friends, who are partial because they are family and friends, compliment you on your children.  It's on a whole different level when a perfect stranger who has been 'people watching' observes your family and gives you a compliment like that.  Anyways, that was the best thing anyone could have said to me.

I got home from movie night with my girl friend, and Chris told me the kids were all sleeping in Kinsey's room again.  I went and tucked them in, and watched them sleep for the better part of a half an hour.  Then I did what any sane person would do, I changed into my PJ's and chronicled my perfect day in my journal.

Then I drifted off into a peaceful sleep only to be awakened by my husband's alarm clock blaring at 3:30 in the morning.  UGH!  Apparently, he forgot to reset it.

Saturday was filled with softball, shopping, and lounging around out at the lake.  It's was nice.  We hadn't been out there in awhile because the water temperature has been so warm it was equivalent to bath water. And that is the furthest thing from relaxing that I can think of on a HOT day.

Sunday afternoon was a filled with a long, overdue nap and trying desperately to get caught up on laundry.  Well, there was only one load of clothes to be washed, but everyone's sheets and blankets needed to be washed, and when you have 5 beds worth of sheets and blankets, it makes for several loads of laundry.

I had de-thawed 3 pounds of chicken, and decided it would be a good time to start making up a few freezable meals for the weeks following my surgery.  If supper was left up to Chris it would consist of grilled cheese, PB & J, and fast food.  And let's face it, I'm not OK with my kids eating a diet limited to those things for several weeks.  So, I made up two casseroles that simply need popped in the oven and taken out after 'x' amount of time. I plan on making twelve more so that we have two weeks worth of meals.

Surely, he can handle that.

Right?!

Today, Ava had her Kindergarten check-up.  Clean bill of health.

We came back to Jasper and hit up the library. My kids LOVE the library.  I needed a few more options for freezable meals, and hopefully, in the four cookbooks I checked out, I can find enough recipes my family will eat to give them a variety consisting of more than 2 or 3 meals.  So, tonight after supper and after cleaning this wretched excuse of a house, I plan on writing out a menu and tallying up how much of everything I need so I can make the big grocery shopping trip tomorrow, between Kinsey's orthodontist appointment and getting new tires on the van.

Wednesday and Thursday are filled up with consultations, and necessary appointments to get ready for surgery.

And Friday, the kids will be back to school.

Why is it the week school starts back up always seems to be the busiest week of the whole summer?!  I've never been able to figure that one out.

I'm a little sad summer is coming to an end, but I have a great recipe to share with you all.  It's the perfect side dish for all those end of summer BBQ's.

Orzo Pasta Salad


Ingredients:
1 LB Orzo pasta
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 c olive oil
3 lemons (juiced)
salt/pepper to taste
2 c cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2 cucumber (diced)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp fresh basil
5 oz. crumbled feta cheese
Parmesan cheese (to top)




Boil pasta according to directions on package




Drain and place in bowl to cool




Cut and juice 3 lemons.  I firmly roll them first, it helps with juicing.




Mix mustard, olive oil, and lemon juice.




Whisk until well blended.




Dice up the fresh basil




Add to the mix.




Cut the cherry tomatoes in halves.




Dice cucumbers




Add all ingredients to the cooled pasta, and give it a good stir.




Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on the top, and season with salt and pepper.  

And there you have it.

A light, delicious summer-y pasta salad.


On a side note:  I watched 'Letters to God' this past week, and I can't get enough of the soundtrack.  It's awesome, and so, so inspiring.

Ann Marie Boskovich has an AMAZING voice!


1 comment:

  1. I watched that movie tonight too. Made me sad, yet it was great. Love that song and she does have a beautiful voice.

    ReplyDelete