Saturday, October 23, 2010

Where do you stand on this?

I'm so excited about having a date night with my husband tonight.


My sister-in-law asked us a few weeks ago if she could get the kids for a few hours today.  Well, that's entirely true.  She really told us she was going to take the kids to do something fun while we had a date night.


Fine by me!


With my second surgery approaching quickly we decided it we really need to knock out our Christmas shopping, because I probably won't feel like doing too much between surgery and Christmas.


So, date night is going to consist of dinner and Christmas shopping.  


But nevertheless, it will be four hours to have uninterrupted conversation.  


That does not happen very often, and quite frankly, right now, we need it.


One of my favorite bloggers wrote a post about how no one tells you before having kids that sleep is the new sex.  haha  SO TRUE!!!


They also don't warn you that you won't be able to have many conversations that last over two minutes without interruption between the hours of 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. 


But I think it makes these RARE date nights all the more meaningful.  It allows for us to feel a closeness that sometimes seems to be put second to our priorities of raising our four, small children.


How often do you all take time out for just you and your spouse?  I know this is highly controversial.  Some of my friends go out with their spouse every single weekend and leave their kids at home with grandparents and/or a sitter.  We go out maybe once every couple months, and most of the time it's because one of my parents tells us they want to have the kids for the evening.  I also have friends who have kids that are a year or two old and they have never left them anywhere overnight.  Which I get too, because Kinsey was almost a year old before I left her with my mom overnight, and I cried during dinner, and went back and got her first thing in the morning.  So where do you all stand?

4 comments:

  1. I don't see a problem with any of it. I've never left my daughter with anyone though, not even for 30 minutes, but she clings to me and would be very upset if I left her anywhere. I know people that take vacations every year without their kids... which I don't understand at all. A date night does sound like fun though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never left Camden with anyone for me to go out until she was over a year old. And just like you, I cried! I've never left Kainan overnight with anyone but Jim. And he will be 3 years old in a couple of weeks! But, Jim and I haven't had the opportunity to go out. I would leave Kainan overnight with my family...or close friends. However, as you know, all of those people are in Indiana. :/ I think some parents' comfort levels are at completely different places and it's just much easier for some than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are never spent the night with someone other than their parents. We go out of a night once every few months but are home by the latest 10pm. We always said we were not going to have kids and make other people watch them. However we wish we could get more alone time together and wouldn't mind them staying overnight soon. No one really offers that though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand everyones point of view on this, however it is important to understand that before you became parents you were husbands and wives. If you do not nurture that very important relationship you cannot set a good example for your children. It is good for them to spend time with family and friends. It is a very important part of raising healthy, well rounded and independent children. My husband and I make a point of having date night at least twice a month, we also take vacations and weekends without our kids. Between us we have 5 kids and this is our second marriage. We both know how important it is to make our relationship our priority!

    ReplyDelete