Sunday, November 07, 2010

Stuffed Bell Peppers

The other day I text my dad to tell him about a new food we HAVE to try.  Pulled pork stuffed hamburgers.  I saw it on the F00D Network, and it looked AMAZING!

Of course, every one who has had my dad's pulled pork agrees, it is THE BEST they've ever tasted!

(If one of us ever hits the lotto, we will be going into the restaurant business. :))

Anyway, he told me he had an iTunes card to bring me so I could download him some more songs.  We got to talking about the Banana Cream Bites I had made yesterday and how much banana cream I had left.  He said, "He needed something to take to church today." So, I told him if he came and got them, I would make him a platter of them up to take with him.

Chris LOVES bell peppers and dad's always up for trying new food too, so I thought I'd try out a recipe my friend, Amanda, had told me about.  I'm always up for a quick, easy and inexpensive meal.  In fact, part of my challenge for this month (excluding Thanksgiving) will be to try to make as many meals as I can for our family of 6 for around $10.  This meal cost me right around that to make.

You will need:


  • Green Peppers (with the mix, I'd say you could make 10-12.....I made 4 but I'll tell you how I used the rest of the mix at the end)
  • 1 lb hamburger
  • 1 onion
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 box yellow rice
  • Mozzarella Cheese

Wash your bell peppers, cut off the tops and scrap out the insides. 



Dice onion.


I went the quick route and made my rice in the microwave.  1 box of yellow rice, 2 Tbsp butter, 2.5 cups of water.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.  Uncover and cook on P-6 for an additional 15 minutes.


Fry up hamburger and onions.  Drain grease.


Give your rice a good 'fluff'.


Add tomato sauce and rice to the hamburger and onions.


Add some cheese to the bottom of your bell peppers.


Fill with mixture.


Top with additional Mozzarella, and bake until at 350 until cheese is melted. (Don't forget to line your cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up)


These were so easy and SO good.  The peppers were nice and tender.  Half of one was enough to fill me up.

With the remaining mix, I sprayed a muffin pan with Pam, molded a biscuit into each cup and added the mixture.  I topped with mozzarella and baked for about 13 minutes.

Roxann said she really liked them in the biscuits as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment