Thursday, December 30, 2010

thorns, roses, and rosebuds

I was checking in on Allie's blog and stumbled upon a friend of hers blog.

Jana started a meme called 'Thorns, Roses, and Rosebuds', and I absolutely adore the concept and have decided to participate.


A 'thorn' is a not-so-fun, bad, or sad thing that has happened to you.

A 'rose' is the highlight of your day, or in this case of your 2010.

And a 'rosebud' is a goal or something you are looking forward to.

Jana uses this meme as a tool for discussing her son's day with him when she puts him to bed at night...which I think is a terrific way of staying in the loop with your kids...especially if they are getting older or are even just soft spoken children who don't really talk about their day much.

This meme will only be once a year, and it kind of a replacement of those New Year's Resolutions that most of us don't tend to keep.  I think it's a wonderful way to reflect back on your year as a whole and to stop long enough to think about what you are really looking forward to in the year to come.

So without further ado....

My 'thorn' in 2010 was definitely all the medical stuff.  It's been one of the most emotionally draining and stressful years of my life. 

But through those thorns my 'roses' appeared.  Not only did my marriage NOT crumble under the intense stress situations like this cause, but it grew in ways I never dreamed it could.  I realized more than ever how much my husband took to heart those vows 'for better or for worse, in SICKNESS and in health' to heart.  He's stood by me in a situation that causes so many spouses to crumble.  I've truly learned the value of time with my family.  I've gained so many new friends (mostly through this blog), and their encouraging words have, honestly, pulled me through some very tough days.  And most importantly, my relationship with God is stronger than it has ever been!!!

The 'rosebud' I think I'm most looking forward to is continuing in my walk with the Lord, and seeing how strengthening that relationship improves all the other relationships in my life. 

I hope you all have a blessed New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. 

Don't forget to jump on over and check out Jana's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment