Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Alex's Candy-Coated Candy Canes

UPDATE:  I'm not sure why the pictures weren't showing up before....I think it's fixed, but if they disappear again, somebody, please, send me an email and let me know.  Thanks! :)

The other day E sent me a text saying her son Alex wanted to send me the pictures of their day making Candied Candy Canes so that I could 'blog' about it. :)

She told me that when she makes my recipes she takes her laptop to the kitchen and Alex helps her go through the steps by reading them or telling her what I did in each of the pictures.

I LOVE that Alex is taking an interest in baking/candy making.


Candy canes, white chocolate morsels, shortening, and sprinkles


Combine chips and shortening, and melt thoroughly.


Prepping for the 'dipping' process.

Just look at how cute he is!


Lay on wax paper after dipping.


Add some sprinkles and let chocolate harden.


How cute and simple are these?!

Great job, Alex.

I bet your teacher will absolutely LOVE them!

Directions:
 
Candied Candy Canes
 
1 cup white baking pieces or semi-sweet pieces
1 tsp shortening
12 candy canes
Decorative red sprinkles, sugar, small candies etc
Food coloring (optional)
 
1.  Unwrap the candy canes.
2.  In a small, heavy saucepan, heat baking pieces and shortening over VERY low heat while stirring constantly.  (The chocolate will burn very quickly and easily, so make sure to constatly stir the mixture) You may also combine shortening, chocolate and food coloring ion microwave safe bowl and cook on 60% heat for 30 seconds.  After intial 30 seconds, sir and place back in microwave in 10 second intervals stirring in between until melted.  (Its usually approx 1 minte total) 
3.  Transfer baking pieces to a 1 cup glass liquid measure.  Dip the top half into the melted chocolate, tilting the cup to coat the candy cane.  Roll or sprinkle with decorative sprinkles if desired.  Place on waxed paper lined baking sheet and let stand until chocolate is firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment