Friday, September 16, 2011

Healing

A month or so ago I recieved an email from my team captain, Jay, letting me know that he had nominated me to be a flag carrier into Survivor's Circle.  Now while I haven't participated in a 3-Day event yet, I have watched several of them online, and Survivor's Circle brings me to tears every time.



I never actually thought I'd be chosen, but a few days ago, I received an email from the field coordinator asking me to carry the 'Healing' flag.  I was floored. Only EIGHT people were chosen for this honor, and I, I was one of them! I read the email, cried.  Read it again, cried again.  Called my mom, cried some more.  Tweeted with several teammates about it, and cried some more. 

To say this is an honor would be the understatement of my life. 

To be quite honest, ever since I found out my next reconstructive surgery was scheduled just THREE short days after my return from Atlanta, I've been a little nervous.  I've been telling myself that there is no better way to spend the days leading up to surgery than in the presence of many people who go above and beyond to support this terrible disease. And that's totally true. 

And now, being honored by this...and of all things being asked to carry the 'Healing' flag....I'm left speechless.  It comes at a time when, honestly, so much 'healing' from the past year has been occuring. 

This seriously made my day. my week. my month. MY YEAR!

And if that wasn't awesome enough....my friend and teammate, Allie, was chosen to carry 'Courage', and let me tell ya, that fits her to a T.

The only thing that could possibly make this any better would be if my family were able to be there when I finish the walk, and the 'Victory' flag is raised.....

No comments:

Post a Comment