Thursday, September 08, 2011

Easy After School Snacks

I don't know if this happens in y'alls house, but the minute the door opens after my kids step off the bus, my house is filled with the sound of my children voicing the complaint that they are 'STARVING!' 

I assure them that they aren't starving while I'm serving them up a quick snack.

Chris gets home at 6 p.m. and we try to eat dinner as a family as much as possible, so waiting a little over two hours to eat, is quite a while for them, so we generally have some type of after school snack every day while they are working on homework.

We have the typicals like:  carrots, grapes, strawberries, oranges slices, yogurt, cherry tomatoes.

But on Monday's and Wednesday's we have after school activities, so I make them something with a little more substance. 

One of their favorites is veggie pizza.



I learned this yummy recipe from my former sister-in-law Jen.  It's a favorite at family get togethers too.

1-pizza crust (bake according to package)
Sauce: 1 part cream cheese, 1 part mayo (for 1 pizza I use about 6 oz of each), 1 ranch dressing packet, and half of a can of diced tomatoes.
Topping: carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli.
Sprinkle with stredded chesse

Another favorite is meatballs.

I love them because I literally just throw three things in the crockpot, turn it on, and viola a few hrs later, I have a snack the entire family loves.




1 crock pot, 1 bag of frozen meatballs, 1 jar of chili sauce, and 1 jar of grape jam.  Throw it all together and turn the crock pot on low for 6-7 hrs or high for 3-4.

On Mondays, Kinsey has piano for 30 minutes and the piano teacher has a park right behind her duplex, so the other kids and I take our snack and go play at the park. 

Roll-ups are generally the choices for those days.  Their two favorites are:

Turkey and pickle rolls up.  (Thanks grandma for introducing my kids to these).


This is simply as slice of turkey, chive cream cheese, and a pickle. 

Big A requests these every time he has a party or friends over because they are his favorite snack.


They all also love turkey rolls up.




Tortilla's, cream cheese or ranch, turkey, and veggies of choice.  We generally use thin sliced tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, shredded carrots, and shredded cheese.

And their other favorite is mini pigs in a blanket.

I always loved these growing up....even though I don't really care for hot dogs unless they are grilled.



Crescent rolls, american cheese slices and hot dogs (cut into two).  Assemble, roll, and bake at 375 for 11-13 minutes.


What do you all feed your kids for quick snacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment