Sunday, June 16, 2013

Love As A Verb

Bill,

I'm sitting on the patio, watching you access and plan the dimensions of the new walk-way layout you are making from the gate to the firepit, and to put it simply, I honestly can't think of a single thing I'd rather be doing. 

I found myself folding laundry outside this evening, just for the simple fact that at any given point, I could look up and see you working in the yard.

It sounds so cliche to say out loud, but you've changed my life in such a positive way that I realize it must be a reflection of you.  You say your life is better than it's ever been because of us, well, I hope you always know that I feel the exact same way about you.

It's your first Father's Day, and even though the girls are with their dad I know they are so very close to your heart.  You made a trip to Lowe's, and bought flowers to replace the ones Bre planted that didn't survive the heat/lack of watering while we were gone at the beach...just in case she asks to see 'her flowers' when we Facetime her.  I had to walk away as I watched you replant the new ones, because I was on the verge of tears. 

As I sit here, watching you work on something for our entire family to enjoy, I can't help but be humbled by the fact that you not only show them you love them by the direct things you do for them, you are loving them through the example you are showing them in the way you love me.

I think back to Christmastime - you helping me clean the kitchen - when Bre's confusingly asked you what you were doing.  You responded with a simple, "Helping Mommy."  I was a little shocked, and heartbroken when she asked "Why?"  Your response cemented the foundation for which I knew you'd teach the girls of what they should expect out of and be for their helpmate in life.  The ways in which you always follow through with showing what that response meant is something that I know she is already starting to understand.  I see it in all of their desires to help others, and the way they express their love.

Your mother wrote the following message to you today, "I've waited a very long time to get the privilege of saying this to you: HAPPY FATHERS DAY! It's not everyday that a man gets to "father" three girls at once. This I know for sure, you are more than ready for this job and will be the best step dad ever."

Everyone who catches even the slightest glimpse of you with the girls feels that way.  You are absolutely incredible with them.


 
You love them like they are yours.

 
Butterfly kisses.

 



 
You take time off of work to be there for the important things (like taking them to their last day of school) because you know those are the things they will remember as they grow, and because you know those are moments that you never get back.


 
I know that the promises you made to them this day are just as important to you as the promise you made to me, and that says everything to me.



 
You find ways to be a part of the day-to-day when we have to be apart.
(You read Bre this story three times this night because she kept asking you to 'Read it again'...so you did.)
 
 

 
You love them not just in words, but in your every action.

You're teaching them to love as a verb, and there truly is no greater gift that a 'father' can give his daughters than that.

Happy Father's Day!

We love you so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment