Thursday, May 03, 2012

Spinach Hummus

Late last year, I decided to cut out processed foods, as much as possible, from my family's diet.

Not that we ate a lot before, but I wanted to be even more disciplined about it.  I'm a firm believer that your children acquire a 'like' for the foods they grow up eating, and I want to get my kids off to a good start when it comes to making good decisions about food choices.

Now that's not to say that we don't eat Subway every now and then, because we do.  I've just become more conscience of the foods I buy at the store.

We've never been a family who has bags of chips, cookies, ice cream, etc in our house for snacks, and a lot of our family members say we are 'weird' because of this.  I'd just rather my kids eat nuts, fruits, veggies, etc. if they want a snack.

Ava, our middle daughter, has been having some GI issues, which has lead to us going gluten-free.

And I'll be sharing more of our new favorite gluten-free recipes with you all soon.

Today's recipe is by far one of the kids new favorite 'dips'.

If your kids are anything like mine, then they always have to have 'dip' for everything they eat. lol

And if you're anything like me, you LOVE simple, easy-to-make recipes.  You know the kind that contain five ingredients or less. :)


So, here we go:
-Chick Peas
-EVOO
-1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Cumin
-Handful of spinach


Throw it all in a food processor. 

Blend well while drizzling in EVOO.


Literally, two minutes later you will have a yummy bowl of hummus to enjoy on anything your heart desires.

Aside from being absolutely delicious, you can store this for up to four days in the refrigerator, and the cost break-down is just over $2.  And you just can't beat that.

No comments:

Post a Comment