Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Glowing Green Smoothie

In my quest to read everything I can get my hands on that talks about gluten-free/clean eating, I stumbled upon a blog that praised the book 'The Beauty Detox Solution'.



The blogger claimed this must is a MUST READ when it comes to clean eating.  So, of course, I purchased it.

I could not put this book down. 

Kimberly explains the process of what it takes for certain types of foods to break down and travel through the digestive sysetm, and how that plays in integral part in the nutrients and vitamins our bodies actually receive from what we are eating.

She also explains it in terms of pH levels...acidity and alkalinity, and I, as a science-nerd, was better able to understand certain aspects of nutrition that hasn't always made sense to me in the past.

She does recommend eating a vegetarian life-style, but also adapts her eating strategy to allow those of us who do eat meat, to continue eating it. 

The last 30 or so pages is filled with salad, soup, and meal recipes.

And the recipe I was most excited to try was the Glowing Green Smoothie.

My family as been on a smoothie kick lately, but it's fruit smoothies.  I was curious if the fruit in the glowing green could actually mask the taste of all the greens, like she claims it does.  If so, what a great way to add a few more greens into my family's diet.

Here's what I used to make my green smoothie.


-1.5 cups water
-Half a head of lettuce
-Handful of baby spinach
-Banana
-3 slices of pear
-8 pieces of pineapple
-Juice from 1/2 lemon


Blend REALLY well!!!!

My recipe ended up making 1.25 L (without ice added).

Kimberly recommends drinking the green smoothie very cold, so I added ice cubes directly to my cup.  The rest I will refrigerate for tomorrow.  It's supposed to keep well in the refrigerator for several days.



The taste was amazing, however, it was a little thick so I think I'll add a bit more water next time.

Overall, I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by how good it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment