Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Cooking at It's Finest

Because it's summer, and almost everyone has left-over grilled chicken at some point.

Because I haven't food blogged in A REALLY LONG TIME!

And just because it's one of my favorite cold pasta dishes (meaning it's delicious even as a left-over itself)...

I present to you....

Grilled Chicken and Penne with Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce

Don't worry if you're not a fan of honey mustard (I'm not really either.  Sorry, Kate aka my mustard loving friend. haha) but this sauce is so light, and non-mustardy tasting that you wouldn't know that's what it is if I didn't tell you.

First things first, boil some Penne.

You can substitute whole wheat Penne if you're looking for a healthier option.


And while the water is working it's magic...

dice up some avocado.

I mean what summer dish is truly complete without some creamy avocado?



Next up, cut up your grilled chicken.

This is a cold dish, so if you grilled your chicken directly prior to starting to prepare this dish, pop it in the freezer for 3-5 minutes to cool it down.


This is a cheat step, but I like the flavoring of these particular diced tomatoes, so it's what I used.

Diced tomatoes with green chilies.

I love that it gives the dish a punch of spice, but it's not hot.




For the sauce, mix together 1 cup light mayo, 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp Karo syrup, and 2 Tbsp lemon juice.

DO NOT SKIP THE LEMON JUICE.

It's imperative to the acidity of the dish.

Really, I don't know if that's true or not, but it sounded smart.

And it really does give it a little something extra.


Drain and rinse penne with cold water.

Mix everything together, throw in a tsp or two of crushed red pepper flakes, and ta-da.


Serve with a salad and you have a perfect, quick, throw together, summer supper.



No comments:

Post a Comment