Sunday, February 02, 2014

Let's Love the Real Version of Each Other




THIS... it's my house almost all.the.time.



There was a time not long ago that I wouldn't have let anyone outside of my house see this.  I'd spend hours cleaning if I knew someone was coming over.  

WHY???

Because most of us don't want people to know the truth.  We want people to think our homes are Pinterest perfect.  That our homes are always spotless, our laundry is always ironed, and we have a three course meal on the table every night.   All while serving the Lord, being a good spouse, raising (demanding) children, being a good friend, sister, daughter, etc.

Most of you that know me personally know that I've struggled with anxiety and OCD for quite some time. In learning what my triggers are, I've come to realize that a big part of it is feeling like I have to keep up with the image people have of me.  The mom that really does have it together all the time.   Despite my best efforts, that's just not our reality.  It's way too stressful to try to keep up with the facade.  My mental well-being is just so much more important than impressing anyone.  But trust me when I say I would have never reached this real, and healthy awareness without having an amazing husband that unconditionally loves, accepts, and supports instead of expecting perfection.

The beautiful, messy chaos that comes with having three awesome little girls is our reality.  We are simply out numbered, and it's impossible to keep up with all of their needs, our own, and keep a spotless house.

There are dishes in my sink, piles of clothes that need put away, floors that need swept, and windows that need to be washed.

If that needs to take precedent over spending valuable time with my husband and girls for you to be my friend, well then, we can't be friends.

But please understand, I really do want to be your friend.  

If I've chosen to allow you to be a part of my family's lives, I really do like you.  I think you are genuine, and fun, and a blessing to our lives.

If you do come over, I promise I won't pretend to have it together all the time.  You are going to get the real me.  The me that's not afraid to spend a few minutes of every day discussing with one of my best friends all of the things on my to-do list that I didn't get done, or the fact that we spent all day Sunday in our PJ's, or that I didn't even brush my hair that day.  And let me tell you, it's a blessing to have a friend who isn't afraid to also admit her 'mommy failures'...because we all have them!  

This past year and half has opened my eyes to the importance of authentic relationships.  So, come over, and sit with me.  I'll make you a cup of tea, and we will have real and meaningful conversations.  You will get to know my heart and I yours.  Because isn't that what life is really all about?!  Loving each other for who we really are.




No comments:

Post a Comment