Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pan Seared Chicken on Focaccia and Veggie Spirals with Spinach and Creamy Pesto Sauce

Whew....that is one LONG post title.

I'm back into a sewing/cooking phase.

It could be because it's hot as hades outside, so we're all hanging out inside ALL DAY LONG....

or it could be that insomnia has set in, in light of my upcoming appointment next week, and I'm trying to stay busy so that my mind doesn't go to a place of worry.

Whatever the reason, I've sewn both Breanna and Katie a dress with one of the fabrics we picked up at JoAnn's.  I've got two more fabrics so I need to find two more patterns for dresses/shirts for them.





Tried out some pleats.

Chris walked in the kitchen at 2 this morning and asked what I was doing.... like it's weird for me to be up making food at that time.  Happens all the time.  And for the record, I was cutting up avocado for his lunch for work.  He went to get in the shower, and I made him some toast and eggs.  When I went in the bathroom to tell him they were done, he asked me if I was okay.  I guess in the five years we've been together he has come to the realization that if I'm not sleeping, something is weighing on me.  I told him I was fine, and went back to sewing. 

Fast forward to lunch and I decided to make chicken sandwiches.

And I have some basil that desperately needed to be used, so I decided veggie pasta would be a nice compliment to a chicken sandwich.



Pesto (basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, s+p, olive oil)


Melt down about 2 Tbsp butter.  I know...really unhealthy, but so good.


Add in about 1 cup of half and half.  It's really good with whipping cream, but CALORIES....


Mix in pesto, and bring to a boil, then turn off heat and let thicken.



Add a little olive oil to a pan...some salt and pepper and crushed red pepper and then add in...


A few tsp of red wine vinegar.

Pomegranate is my new favorite!!!


Throw in some baby spinach and let wilt down.


This will only take about 2 minutes.


Cook your choice of pasta.
I use veggie spirals for everything.


Mix together the pasta, spinach, and a couple Tbsp's of the creamy pesto.


In the pan you cooked the spinach in, sear a couple chicken breasts.


Slice into thin strips.


Slice up some roasted red peppers.


Top chicken with some spinach and the roasted red peppers


Next I added some shredded cucumbers, carrots, and red cabbage.


And topped it off with a little shredded Italian cheese and about a tsp of the pesto sauce.


And viola...heaven on a plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment